Pages

Sunday 12 May 2013

The Fault in Our Stars - John Green | Review

Well... Today is a big day. My first book review on my blog! I don't know about you, but I'm excited about it. It didn't take much for me to decide which book I was going to write about as the excellence that is John Green's writing has been taking up a lot of my time recently. Also, I'd just like to point out that when I fix my camera, I will be using my own images.

Despite the tumour-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.
Insightful, bold, irreverent, and raw, The Fault in Our Stars is award-winning author John Green's most ambitious and heartbreaking work yet, brilliantly exploring the funny, thrilling, and tragic business of being alive and in love.

Unless you've been living under a rock, or you're not an avid tumblr user or reader, you'll know that this book has been gathering a lot of public hype lately. I'd been looking into buying a John Green novel for a while now and whether it was the reason it was the first John Green book I caught my eye on in Waterstones, or whether it was fate that this book would begin my John Green adventure, I'll never know.

In his writing, John Green has this marvellous ability to insert his own humour into his characters. While sometimes they can be pretentious and annoying, they have a reason to be. They're suffering with Cancer for Christ's sake, of course they're not going to be all sunshine and unicorns. If you watch the 'vlogbrothers' channel on YouTube, you can tell that it is indeed John Green's personality and philosophical nature he implements into Hazel and Augustus's characters.

This book made me laugh, made me angry and made me bawl like a baby. I'm not going to give away any spoilers to future readers, but by the last sentence I think I had almost drowned in my own tears. The usage of John Green's words and metaphors were captivating and they really make you think about things.

While I think Hazel and Augustus rushed into their relationship, I have no reason to question it. They're not sure how long they're going to live and so they will want to experience every part of life they can while they're still on earth.

Overall, I'd give this book a 10/10, no questions asked.



Thank you for reading, and I hope you'll be kind enough to stick with my blogging journey. My next post will be beauty related, so I look forward to it. -Hollie (beautyfulbooks)

No comments:

Post a Comment